Fundraising in the 1950’s continued with Used Book Sales, Rummage Sales and fashion shows. The Junior Service League cookbook was published in 1957-58, and that same year the first Bundles Coffee was hosted by the Sustainers Group (which had been organized in 1956).
The children’s theatre produced such events as “Brigadoon” (1950-51) and many fairy tale productions which were performed in area schools.
In 1949-1950, the Junior Service League managed the Easter Seals Drive in the area and thus was born a relationship between these two organizations that continues today. The Junior Service League School for Speech Correction was founded on February 1, 1950, largely as the result of Junior League member Ellen Black. This clinic later expanded its services and was renamed the Junior Service League Orthopedic Center. By 1959, the Center had a full-time medical director.
In the 1960’s the Thrift Shop was born, and hired its first employee in 1964-65. In 1968, it moved to a new downtown location. Other fundraising efforts included charity balls and sale of the cookbooks.
The children’s theatre was transformed from fairy tale productions to a new format emphasizing American Folklore. The production from 1967 was televised and broadcast under the title “18th Century — The Age of Enlightenment” . This production was Second Prize for the best educational TV show in Florida that year.
The Orthopedic Center built a new facility, with a gala groundbreaking on April 11, 1965. The Community Services Council was organized and chartered in 1967 and became a U.F. agency in 1968.
The relationship between the Junior Service League and the Florida Music Festival began in 1966 when the Junior Service League sponsored a Champagne Gala for their benefit. That same year another long term relationship began when the Junior Service League voted to support the development of the Planetarium at the Museum of Arts & Sciences.
In the 1970’s the number and scope of the community services provided by the Junior Service League mushroomed! The Children’s theater continued and expanded to include traveling puppet shows, known as the
The Junior Service League supported the development of the Planetarium, sponsored annual exhibits and summer science programs, and funded the first Docent program at the Museum of Arts & Sciences. In addition, the Junior Service League was involved in the funding, publicity and hands-on work in developing the Giant Sloth exhibit at the Museum.
New anti-drug programs were developed and presented in schools throughout the county, along with programs designed to assist children with learning disabilities. School programs focusing on ecology were developed as well. The Junior Service League continued its commitment to serving the health needs of the community children by continuing its support of the children’s’ dental programs and supporting the Pediatric Unit at Halifax Hospital. The continued relationship with Easter Seals included, among other things, the Junior Service League’s funding of the salary for an occupational therapist at the Easter Seals Center and support of the Easter Seals pre-school programs.
The Wilder-Irwin Building at 122 S. Palmetto was purchased as a home for the Thrift Shop and League offices.
In the 1980’s the children’s theatre productions continued and were expanded to include “Fractured Follies” presentations in nursing homes. Junior Service League services in area schools included anti-drug and alcohol programs, thousands of materials made available to the Volunteer Resource Bureau, Showcase museums, “Kids on the Block” and other school-based services.
The long relationship with the Museum of Arts & Sciences continued via the Docent program which was ultimately turned over to the Community Docent Program, annual exhibits, purchase awards, etc. The League’s relationship with the Florida Music Festival continued with the League providing thousands of free tickets to LSO events. The League continued to support Easter Seals programs as well.
New areas of focus included services to the Deaf, which began in 1981 with the organization of the Deaf Services Center and support of its many services to the deaf including making TDD phones more widely available. The League funded and developed the Discovery Center at the Public Library. “Directions” was founded as a resource center for persons with disabilities.
The 50th Anniversary of the Junior Service League was celebrated in 1984. That same year the Junior Service League affiliated with the Association of Junior Leagues International (AJLI), becoming their 256th member League on April 1, 1984. At that time the League’s official name was changed to the Junior League of Daytona Beach, Inc.
The community acknowledged the Junior League’s spirit of service with awards almost too numerous to list. These included community service awards from: Volusia County Schools, Association of Retarded Citizens, Museum of Arts & Sciences, Easter Seals Society and the United Way.